Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Going Green - Super Food Spirulina

My favorite meal of the day - not!!!!

Fasting BS - 101 (WOW) Nearly normal in the morning.  I did not eat late again late last night.  There might be something to this eating pattern.
BP - 108/66 (my home machine) - HR - 62

Evening BS - 97
BP - 125/80 (home machine) - HR 64

When talking to people they say "oh yeah, I do one of those drinks in the morning."  Then I ask what they have in it.  Fruit, almond milk, berries, other supplements.  That is a smoothie - not a green drink.  A green drink is based on plant foods that are often called "super" foods.  They provide amazing levels of the nutrients our bodies desire and they make it easy to get our daily intake of vegetables.

I do not care what anyone tells you - green drinks are not tasty.  They are based on some very high nutrient plant food and nothing that tastes like McDonald or Dairy Queen ice cream.  To me it tastes horrible and I use Dr. Ox's recipe that most people on TV tasted it and said it was good.  Only on a TV show!!!!

So what goes in mine?  Before going there, I should mention that Amy, a colleague recommend a Nutri-Bullet  They are easy to clean, I can make the drink myself, and it finely slices so all of the fiber stays in the drink - something very important to us diabetics.

My drink is spinach based so starts with a handful of spinach.  Then I add my tablespoon of spirulina (algae), then my scope of AKEA Essentials (47 powdered "things"), and a scope of Whey Protein powder.  I add 4-5 half sticks of celery and then add 5-6 slices of a cucumber.  I then add half a green apple (less sugar than red ones), a squeeze of lemon, and a squeeze of lime.  I then fill up my Nuti-Bullet with almond milk.  

I blend all of that up into a "yummy" drink, head down stairs to check my vitals and check my email and blog to see how many people have read it over the night.  That is my morning routine and my breakfast.  Like I said - not Grandma's pancake breakfast.

I have talked a little about AKEA Essentials and I am hoping I can get Antonia to blog about her success and AKEA Essentials.  In this post, I would like to talk a little more in depth about the spirulina and a study about green drinks.  Before doing that two other super foods can be used with or to replace the spirulina - chlorella (another algae) and barley grass that was been used by the Ancient Egyptians.

Spirulina is a single-celled blue-green algae that has been around forever.  The green comes from chlorophyll and the blue color from an exotic pigment called phycocyanin, which is known to help stimulate the creation of other stem cells.

Spirulina is an incredible source of minerals needed to support pancreatic health and insulin sensitivity.  The amount of minerals delivered by this one super food is out of this world! I will take a post and put forth all my supplements so you can have a laundry list of all of the minerals and nutrients I take daily.  As I have stated before, these things helped me short term but I see them also the process by which my liver and pancreas can help themselves heal.  With the right "food", then maybe they can function properly, along with my blood cells taking in the proper insulin, as close to normal as I can get.

A major study, published in the Journal of Medical Food in 2001 was appropriately called "Role of Spirulina in the control of Glycemia and Lipidemia in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus."    After two months of receiving spirulina supplements, the study participants had an appreciable lowering of fasting blood glucose and postprandial blood glucose (after eating).  In addition, their A1C was lowered meaning the super food helped short term and long term blood sugar management.

The group also had slightly lower "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and a slightly higher levels of good cholesterol (HDL).

I do not know about you, but all these things sounded good to me.  As I mentioned, shortly after taking the chromium, I added the green drink and the spirulina was the first super food I added.  I truly believe the research and what it said about the short term and long term effect of green drinks and spirulina and the importance of them in managing my blood sugar level..

After all, my fasting BS is still coming down and I can eat now without my BS spiking.  My A1C is also lower.  I am doing so many things and hard to tell - but I do believe the drink was one of the big players in lowering and sustaining my blood sugars.

For you non-diabetics; do not get confused BS is not something produce by a bull, it is your blood sugar.

If you really want a treat - do what I did.  When you get your spirulina, waste a scope and try adding it to water and drinking it.  First you will be amazed at how much it resembles the dark blue ocean waters and secondly, you will most likely look for the first place to dump it.  The "let me try it alone" was what lead me to the green drink - I just had to do it to be able to take the stuff in.

I hope you can find a green drink - there are now hundreds of recipes on the internet and many swear they helped someone's diabetes.  And you know, I now believe them!

May God bless you and keep you safe.  May he give you and your loved ones the ability to see all of this coming early.  I know if I had done this in 2000, I would have saved my body 13 years of ups and downs.

Bob,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments or suggestions - looking to getting some good discussions going. Tell me what you have tried and what has or has not worked.

Thanks for the support